Re: [MV] M37 Fuel problems

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 22:42:06 PDT

Start at the carburetor and check for any rubber fuel lines. The MBTE
additive in todays gasoline degrades the rubber inside of the fuel line fast
and makes em gummy. Pull fuel inlet to carb and check/clean fuel sintered
brass screen. If you see fine granulales of sand drop fuel tank and
flush/clean sand out of fuel tank. Think how big the fill opening is and
think kids. A long time ago I had a 1948 Ford flathead V-8 pickup truck that
did the same thing....get in top gear and lose power slowly or fast
sometimes. Finally out of desperation I pulled the gas tank out of the cab
and dumped out over 200 pounds of sand rocks and other debris the kids
deposited. flushed out with garden hose using plain ole water. Let tank sit
in sun for 8 hours ( natural tank dryer ) after draining as much water as
you can after flushing. Truck ran like a top after I reinstalled it and
added fresh gas. Best of luck as it really sounds like sand.

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com