M37 waterpump

From: RANDY ROGERS (rrogers@texas.net)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 18:38:26 PDT

Anyone have experience doing R& R of the waterpump on this beast? I
thought , mistakenly, that it would be a Saturday morning quickie, and
found otherwise. I finally drained the radiator, but couldnt pull it out,
because the inlet pipe that feeds through the shroud keeps it from coming
out. The fan is the crux of the matter, and holds everything in until it
is removed.. Problem is, it is hard to remove with the radiator and shroud
in place. By unbolting everything, and jiggling things around, I was
FINALLY able to remove the four fan bolts (it took forever thru very tight
quarters), and could lift every thing out.

There has GOT to be a better way. The manual says to "remove fan", as a
prelude to removing the radiator or water pump. Boy, what a loaded
statement!!! It is definitely not easy to remove those bolts with that
radiator in place.

Hope somebody has some ideas before I go to put it all back together.
Thanks RR