Re: [MV] Deuce brake vent modification question

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 09:12:48 PDT

jonathon <jemery@execpc.com> wrote:
> I tried a normal compression fitting but the thread is different. So
> for the heck of it I tried a 1/4" male pipe thread and that what it
> is.

>From the data I got from those NSNs, I think that the compression
fitting on the copper tube had a 1/4" NPT thread, and then they used a
reducing bushing for the 1/8" NPT breather. The filters I was looking
at are available in both sizes, so I could put it together a bit
differently.

> So I had some pneumatic mufflers (breather, filter, whatever you
> want to call it) left over from a job (1/4" male pipe thread with
> the plastic body being about 3/4 dia and maybe 1-1/2"L, with side
> slits and a SS screen on the inside) and all I had to do was drill
> the end just enough for the tube to clear and it screwed right on to
> the existing tube and nut.

Those sound just like some of the mufflers on the same catalog page as
the ones I was looking at (page 264, upper left corner, if you're
familiar with the McMaster-Carr site). The ones I was going to buy are
sintered bronze mounted on a steel fitting, with no plastic parts.

> I suppose that would work as well, just don't get one that would
> restrict the flow to much.

The ones I was looking at have a flow rating of 5 CFM, and were
intended for use as valve exhaust mufflers/filters, so I figure they
should work fine on my wrecker's valve exhaust, and should also be
fine for the breather tube, as long as it doesn't need some sort of
check valve. I don't plan to ford my truck, so maybe it's not too
critical. I vaguely recall reading something about putting something
different on the end of that tube if fording is anticipated.

Thanks for all of the responses!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/