Noisy deuce, but not the exhaust. Gears, etc.

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 00:34:44 PDT

Joe in Snohomish, WA showed me a nifty muffler arrangement on his deuce
(well, one of a stable full of deuces. Dice??). It really, really
quieted the exhaust down. It is a muffler for an 18 wheeler, I guess.
It's NAPA. No backpressure. Straight through, but has side chambers. You
could drop a baseball right through it. I put one on and it does indeed,
quiet it down a whole bunch. Unfortunately, now I hear road noise and
gear noise. We can at least hold a conversation in the cab, however.
That's new....
    When I back off the throttle, and releave the tension on the gears,
it gets way, way quieter in the cab. I still hear lots of road noise,
though. Next step is to put those lead filled rubber pads on the
floorboards. Ok, ok.... Call me a wuss, but I value my hearing.
    The muffler installation was actually done by my friend Art, who is
also into MV stuff. He did a spectacular job of it. He cut the vertical
stack down low, a few inches above where it feeds through the fender.
Clamped the muffler on, and used that bracket up above that normally
holds onto the heat shield to run a huge muffler clamp around the
muffler. It's very solid. Painted the muffler up with high heat black,
first. He added a 90 degree bend above the muffler. I don't detect any
loss of power or mileage, after having done this mod. The turbo whistle
comes right through. If anyone wants pictures, I can take some and post
them somewhere.
    Jim