Willys FLYING JEEP from WW2 (THE FLEEP)

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 05:55:18 PDT

Hello listers.
I just received a large email file of 530Kbytes per page. It show some pics
and tell the story of a flying jeep design and its contruction in Australia
during 1943
As we all can imagine... the idea did not really take off ! (funny, eh?)
However, I have'nt read the entire article as yet but to transport a twoman
crew with equipment and "FLEEP" (flying Jeep) with a total weight of 2700
Lbs they designed a rotating wing (gyrocopter design) which was about 37
foot in diameter.
They built a frame/tower up behind the driver/passengers seat t. This frame
held the gyro wing blade which was powered from the power takeoff on the
transfer case!

These Fleeps still needed a tow to take off, apparently. Because I gues
there was not enough power to build a prop as well as a rotor?

I could send the info that I have received so far if any individuals are
interested. It still only took about 40 secands to download the 500K file,
on my computer which is not a super model... only 64k ram !

So far I've only received one page from the hoeland and am waiting on the
next one as I write this info about the Fleep
Aussie Rob
Upstate NY
42 MB and a gaggle of CJ2As