M37 axle-end studs/bolts

From: John Doyle (jdoyle@writeme.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 12:56:10 PDT

Hello all,

One of the studs that anchor the axle cap on the
rear end of my M37 snapped off. I have the replacement
part but have some questions about the replacement.

I have the 3/4 ton CD from militarymedia.com, but this
shade tree mechanic didn't glean any immediate
wisdom from that (I'm sure I'm missing something) for
this operation.

I've never seen an axle cap like this before owning my
M37, so I'm not quite sure how to go about this. To begin with,
is it necessary to jack the rear end to pull that cap off?
I see 5 studs (1 missing) and 2 smaller studs. I think that
the missing one snapped off because I can't just screw the
one that I have into the hole.

Any suggestions or tips for doing this? Also, will I need to
repack the bearings after this? If so, what type of grease should
I use?

As usual, thanks,
John