Re: [MV] Willys FLYING JEEP from WW2 (THE FLEEP)

From: David (jeepers@online.no)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 12:21:24 PDT

aussierob wrote:

> Hello listers.
> I just received a large email file of 530Kbytes per page. It show some pics
> and tell the story of a flying jeep design and its contruction in Australia
> during 1943 ...........

Rob,
There is a mock-up of this vehicle (or one very similar) in the Museum of Army
Flying at Middle Wallop in Wiltshire, UK. I saw it only a few weeks ago when in
England on holiday. I took a photo which I cld e-mail if you are interested,
and also made the following notes from the sign in the Museum:
The 'Hafner Rotabuggy'. Designed 1943 by Raoul Hafner. A 44ft diameter
rotor.The idea as to tow behind a bomber aircraft. The prototype flew behind a
Whitley bomber but problems were experienced. There were runway tests from
November 1943 until August 1944, but the 'aircraft' actually only flew one
complete circuit on the 11th September 1944. The project was abandoned. The
replica or reconstruction in the Museum was made in 1981.
- I haven't checked by if the Museum of Army Flying has a website - maybe this
wld also have some info on the vehicle.
Hope this has been of interest. As for myself I have a GPW and while it does
fly for a few seconds I much prefer it to stay on the ground where it belongs.
Regards,
David Hammond in Oslo, Norway.