Military shelter/trailer air conditioners

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 20:10:23 PDT

I'm thinking about how to add air conditioning to my M109A3 2.5-ton
shop van, which I'm converting to a camper/radio truck. I've dug up
lots of information about RV air conditioners, but I'd also like to
consider any mil-surplus units which might be apropriate. I realize
that an air conditioner wasn't standard equipment on M109A3 shop vans,
but I'd guess that there were some field modifications for special
purposes (such as cooling radio or computer equipment in vans
retrofitted for special duties), or that there are at least some A/C
units which were used in similar applications such as radio shelters.
One of the two trucks I bid on at DRMO looked like it was modified for
an RV-style rooftop A/C unit or two, but I'm more interested in the
style that mounts on a vertical surface... the truck's already tall
enough without adding another foot of equipment on top!

I'd like to learn more about small to medium A/C units which are
intended for vehicular applications (i.e., ruggedized to handle
off-road bouncing) which might mount neatly on the front of the van
body, above the cab, and which run on either 115 VAC 60 Hz single
phase or 230 VAC 60 Hz single phase. I'm not interested in 400 Hz or
3-phase units at this time.

The normal AC power input for the M109A3 is 115 VAC, but I'm also
considering rewiring my truck for 230 VAC... I don't really like the
way the AC wiring is done, anyway. I plan to power the van body in the
field from an MEP-003A 10 kW diesel generator mounted on a 1.5-ton
trailer. It can be wired for 115 VAC, 115/230 VAC, or 208 VAC 3-phase,
and I plan to use one of the first two options.

If anybody could suggest any A/C unit model numbers, NSNs, TM numbers,
sources, prices, information about any M109A3 A/C unit installations
they've seen, etc., that would probably help me a great deal. I don't
have any knowledge about mil A/C units, so any details would probably
be helpful. TM numbers would be great, so that I could try to download
manuals to learn the nitty gritty technical details. Pictures would be
wonderful!

Thanks in advance!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/