Re: [MV] City Code Violations

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 08:56:15 PDT

In a message dated 6/2/01 1:02:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, davidcole@tk7.net
writes:

<< When do you think it is appropriate to bring in a lawyer to
 try and fight stuff like this. >>

Some random thoughts on this problem, and then I'll shut up. (This does have
the potential of becoming a tirade, rather than a thread, but we all as
collectors of heavy metal are affected by laws like this):

I dislike the idea of lawyers in general. That said, I also believe that you
should hire one for this kind of case, because it shows you mean business.
Your attorney can confer with the govt attorney and possibly work something
out, before the judge even gets to hear the case. You personally would not
have the foot in the door to talk to the govt guy.

Remember that "the only justice in the halls of justice is in the halls"
Lots of compromises are possible in these civil matters. But I still urge
you to ask for the summonse. It puts them on notice that you are serious
about your position.

Our (code enforcement office) basic guiding principle is compliance, not
prosecution, although it sometimes comes to that. If enough people feel that
a particular zoning ordinance is too overbearing or just plain silly, then
petition city hall to change it. Enough loud voices can effect change.
Remember that little unpleasantness back in 1776?

Good luck. APB