Re: [MV] Final words on winches.Well, er, almost final....

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 12:01:37 PDT

Arthur,
What you should have learned, although not specifically about winches, is that people don't tend to favor the type of marketing which attacks a competitor's product to bolster claims for one's own product. There is plenty of room in the market for both types of winches, and this is not the Pepsi Challenge. I don't think you were personally attacked, and neither was your product, but you entered the discussion with an antagonistic stance, and a used car salesman attitude. You are in the presence of the core of the best thinking and execution in the world of military vehicles. We don't merely TALK about military vehicles here. The folks here are responsible for the continued existence of MOST of the historic vehicles yet remaining in the world today. A lot of these vehicles are winch equipped, so you were not preaching to a bunch of winch-ignorant folks. I my self crewed for many years on board an assortment of 5 ton army wreckers and an M88 VTR, and I have logged and run farm !
machinery all my life. I know th
at a lot of the posters in this thread also have major recovery experience in the field under adverse conditions. We didn't learn about winching in Dick Hickey advertisements. Why not temper your approach and stay around to learn and contribute? Perhaps credentials come harder here than you're used to, but you've already earned a conditional set from the hammering you have taken, so why quit now? BTW, the space shuttle, the most complex and most expensive vehicle ever devised by the mind of man, has no fewer than 17 winches, and guess what type they are? Correct answers win one of my M37 bug digester fuel units.
Cheers!
Jack