Re: [MV] Final words on winches.Well, er, almost final....

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 12:52:12 PDT

In a message dated 6/2/01 3:01:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Cougarjack writes:

<< Arthur,
 What you should have learned, although not specifically about winches, is
that people don't tend to favor the type of marketing which attacks a
competitor's product to bolster claims for one's own product.

***I am not in the winch business, so I don't know what you are talking about.
I don't have a winch product, ergo, I don't have a competitor. I acquired at
auction some winches. I wanted to sell them. Before I sell anything to
anyone, I do some research to ensure that I not selling garbage. I
determined, during my research, that the winches made by Warn had, in the
opinion of experts, serious flaws. The two events were not related.

 you entered the discussion with an antagonistic stance, and a used car
salesman attitude.

***I am not in the winch business, and I didn't have any attitude. I didn't
enter into a discussion. I brought to your attention a test of a winch.
Reread my message.

You are in the presence of the core of the best thinking and execution in the
world of military vehicles. We don't merely TALK about military vehicles
here. The folks here are responsible for the continued existence of MOST of
the historic vehicles yet remaining in the world today.

*** And your point is?... that I am NOT one of "the folks" who are doing
this? The few products that I sell, and quite successfully, thank you, sell
themselves. I offer after-market products that do just what your pompous
claims do: they "keep 'em rolling" Put power steering on a big truck, and
it becomes more that a lawn ornament. It becomes a useful tool. Put lock-out
hubs on a guzzler, and it becomes less of one. I stand behind the products
that I sell. I make a little profit, too. I have been told that as the only
guy making these hubs, I could get up to a $1000 for the pair. I don't charge
anywhere near that amount.

 A lot of these vehicles are winch equipped,

*** electric? hydraulic? PTO?

  so you were not preaching to a bunch of winch-ignorant folks.

*** I was not preaching. I was reporting.

 I my self crewed for many years on board an assortment of 5 ton army
wreckers and an M88 VTR, and I have logged and run farm machinery all my
life. I know th
 at a lot of the posters in this thread also have major recovery experience
in the field under adverse conditions.

*** I didn't think that my personal history was a basis for "evaluating the
evaluation" of a winch. I have used a winch myself, under adverse conditions,
and have the broken bones and citations to prove it. That is irrelevant,
therefore I did bring it up.

We didn't learn about winching in Dick Hickey advertisements.

*** Who is Dick Hickey?

Why not temper your approach and stay around to learn and contribute?

*** I don't have an "approach" I just was reporting a potential safety
hazard to people whom I have never met. I have nothing to contribute. I am
obviously a vile and loathesome person, not to be trusted.

Perhaps credentials come harder here than you're used to,

*** What does that mean?

 but you've already earned a conditional set from the hammering you have
taken, so why quit now?

*** Quit what?

BTW, the space shuttle, the most complex and most expensive vehicle ever
devised by the mind of man, has no fewer than 17 winches, and guess what
type they are?

*** I imagine that you want me to say "electric". Do the cables snap
prematurely? Do the motors burn out? Do the relays fry? Are they made by
Warn?

Correct answers win one of my M37 bug digester fuel units.
 Cheers!

 Jack

"Cheers" ?