Re: [MV] [MVlist] close call

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 07:44:35 PDT

>... Particularly difficult joints may need
>some pounding on the sides away from being in line with the casting shaft or
>this shaft may be a cranked affair, in these cases you have to learn the
>technique of simultaneous two handed hammer operation and give it a whack
>simultaneously from both sides at the same instant.

This is the basic technique that I always use, be it a mule or an M35. What
I do, different than what you described, is to hold a chunk of steel on one
side of the knuckle arm, something like 2-1/2 or 3" diameter by maybe 6"
long. Push it against the side of the casting perpendicular to the axis of
the taper bolt, then wack it with a suitably large hammer (like 5# to 10#)
on exactly the opposite side. Strange technique but an old guy taught it to
me years ago and it always works. And of course if you leave the nut on but
loose then the tie rod won't fall on your foot when it breaks free, found
that one out the hard way!

all the best,

je