Tie rod ends

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 11:17:51 PDT

> >. . . . . . .The body of the tie rod end completely
> fell off and left the
> tapered shaft in >the arm.
> >

> Of paramount importance never, ever, ever, try to
> drive the taper pin out by
> hitting the screwed end, without a nut on it you
> will surely swell the
> threaded portion and the nut will never fit again,
> with a nut flush to the
> end you will swell the taper shaft like a rivet and
> its now never coming
> out.
++++++++
Don't forget to put the castelated nut on backwards.

> On smaller vehicles a helper with a big pry-bar can
> be used but a specific
> bolt-up ball joint puller is preferred, there are
> drive-in forked wedge
> tools available too.
++++++++
Tending to be lazy, I use the screw-puller type
seperator and a propane torch. It takes some time for
the little torch to heat it enough but I like to hear
the satisfying "bonk" when it comes loose. If you
direct the flame carefully you won't even burn the
rubber parts.

BIG CAUTION HERE: Don't hit the ball joint with a
hammer if you've heated it!! The grease will have
turned to thick hot oil and will fly everywhere.

SAFETY GLASSES ALWAYS REQUIRED!

> Don't expect it to pop out just yet, if it does its
> a bonus. With some
> significant force applied and the puller (its really
> a "pusher-aparter")
> really tightened and to one side, fetch the eye a
> really good whack on its
> vertical FACE with a substantial hammer IN LINE with
> its cast shaft. The
> loose nut on the taper shaft is a protection for the
> thread in case you miss
> ! It also limits the travel when the shaft pops
> out.
+++++++++
I find that one doesn't need a heavy hammer as much as
a good solid hit, anything to disturb the joint. The
toughest one was on my Nissan PU, the M-135 came apart
easily, as did the 3/4 ton Chevy. The hard part is
getting room to swing.

> Obviously belting it anywhere else has no effect as
> the shock load makes the
> eye casting spring away, the effect is to swell the
> eye a fraction of a thou
> or less and this releases the pin.
++++++++
Also helps to back the arm up with a heavy hammer,
just held in contact with it to oppose the blow.

This is why three-handed mechanics are in such demand,
competent jugglers urged to apply, too.

  Particularly
> difficult joints may need
> some pounding on the sides away from being in line
> with the casting shaft or
> this shaft may be a cranked affair, in these cases
> you have to learn the
> technique of simultaneous two handed hammer
> operation and give it a whack
> simultaneously from both sides at the same instant.
+++++++++
With the precision of a percussionist in the local
philharmonic. I remember a session removing the rear
wheels from a 1950's Farmall "H", two guys with sledge
hammers, no, we didn't break the castings either.