Re: [MV] who is Dick Hickey? et al....was: winches, final word...

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 12:34:43 PDT

OK Guys! I've stood back and listened to the winch rhetoric and bashing of
electric winches. I use all different kinds of winches all the time. I
haven't heard anybody speaking of the burnt power steering fluid caused by
Hydraulic winches. Each has an application. Those of us who have spent all
there life in 4 wheel drives have seen the winch program blossom. This Hickey
character that has been brought up is not Dick Hickey but Vic Hickey. His
winch was revolutionary and has saved my butt many times. Electric winches
don't burn things up, uneducated operators burn things up using electric
winches. Every winch you buy comes with data explaining its operation from
current draw to service factor. I'm sure that I have winched more miles that
most winch owners have winched in feet. If one is foolish enough to run a
winch until it starts smoking and frying batteries, then they shouldn't have
a winch. Personally, I have a Warn 8274 spur drive that is 20 years old.
This is the most trouble free and vesatile winch that I have ever used. This
in part because I'm aware of its operating characteristics and limitations.
It has a very quick line speed but does draw lots of current. This is one
example of knowing a winch and its limitations and using it within its
abilities. I just want to repeat what I said earlier. Buy the winch that
best suits your needs. Just because one group of people can't operate and
electric winch, doesn't mean electric winches burn things up. Opinions are
like @^%$#^, everybody has one.
                Defender of all winches........Kenny

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL
'52 Stude M-275 tractor
'78 Casemaster Pioneer Tool Trailer
Recovry4x4@aol.com
Professional off road recovery for 22 years!