Re: [MV] Canadian M151A2 Mutts

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 13:39:42 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Muttguru@aol.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 8:52 AM
Subject: [MV] Canadian M151A2 Mutts

> Dear Listers, especially those with ownership of, or access to, Canadian
> mutts. Does anyone have a photo of the dash dataplate that they would care
> share with me , please?
>
> I am particularly interested in the "CONTRACT NUMBER" and the "DATE OF
> DELIVERY" boxes on the plates.
>
> Various stories are doing the rounds..... one says that the DND bought
"used"
> US mutts, with their US dataplates left intact.......another story says
that
> DND bought new ones under specific contracts.
>
> Any help here will be much appreciated.

You were told to surrender the ID plates as part of the scrapping contract
through Crown Assets Disposal back when we were disposing of the critter, so
there might well be few in captivity. Friends scrapped out most of the ex-
3PPCLI ones on the West Coast, so I'll have a scratch around and see if any
of the plates survive.

As to the prospect of the government purchasing 'used' 151A2's, I remember
that friends in Cdn. service at the time told me that the things arrived an
almost shiny green colour, and with blue or yellow Monroe shock absorbers
standing out in stark contrast to the general military demeanour of the
vehicle. One of our members has some photos of the 151A2 with white CAR/CFR
numbers painted in the traditional M38-type spot over semi-gloss paint, so I
think that also would tend to put paid to the idea the vehicles were
purchased from Uncle 'used'.

We do appear to have purchased other vehicles from the U.S. military 'used';
specifically the gasoline-powered M54 5-ton cargoes. The film company owns
a couple with rebuild tags dating from the late sixties or early seventies
labelled "US MP Boeblingen", indicating to me that perhaps the vehicles were
purchased by CF as rebuilds not slated to take part in the U.S. Army
dieselization programme. I saw another on the target ranges near CFB Cold
Lake, AB, so I doubt it was a single instance.

Anyway, as respects the Mutts, I've seen quite a few with DoD space left
blank, though I think the Contract spot is almost always filled in. From
what I gather, the Canadian government bought about 900 of them, all the
1974 model, as a 'contract overrun' for another service. Since they arrived
with the army-style bumpers and wheel-mounted tie-down rings, I guess we can
count out the USMC. We were also offered HMMWV's on a 'contract overrun'
basis (at a cost that actually worked out *less* than the USMC paid on a
per-veh. basis at the time), but did not pursue it.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.