Re: [MV] Woodworm

From: Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 16:19:03 PDT

Hello Tim,

Without knowing the extent or severity of your wood problem, I can only
say that, if your wood is "punky", you could try a marine product
available on this side of the pond called "Git Rot". There are a number
of similar products on the market, but Git Rot is what I have used
successfully. It is a very thin epoxy resin with which you saturate the
damaged wood. When it cures, it is very hard and bonds the punky wood to
the good wood, making the whole nearly as strong as the undamaged wood.
Check your small craft supply places, I'm sure there must be a similar
product available in the UK.

NOTE: If you intend to use the epoxy resin, DO NOT saturate the wood
with diesel fuel first as that will completely screw up the curing and
bonding of the resin! Use the diesel AFTER the epoxy has cured for
several days if you wish.

Ed Greeley
Mobile, AL (lotsa rotten wooden boats here!)