D Day Wreckage on Discovery 2 night...RANT

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 18:04:30 PDT

On "Deadline Discovery" (DISCOVERY CHANNEL) 2 night at 2200 hrs EDT will be
coverage of D Day wreckage on sea floor off of Normandy Coast. This
according to Tom Brokaw on NBC News tonight.
    Showed some of the French "Grave Robbers" who are recovering or have
recovered tanks and other gear from the sea floor for "sale" and some of the
material that is in this particular man's museum. He claims he is just
clearing out fishing areas and has never found a "BODY". Well DUHHHH....
after almost 60 years. Notice, he didn't say he has never found remains. He
said if the ocean area off Normandy was given the same status as the
cemetery on the beach, he couldn't make a living selling the "scrap" metal
he is pulling up.
    A book written during the sixties put a phrase in use even today. The
"Ugly American".
    Maybe this program will put a phrase into world wide use...The
"Ungrateful, bottom sucking, useless Frenchman". While The Ugly American
does not represent the average American citizen, This "Frenchman" (and I use
the term for lack of a better term) is a blot on the bravery evidenced by
the Free French and the valiant fighters of the Underground who fought the
Nazis. To him it's all about money, but if his countrymen and the Allied
forces had not fought and died to throw the Nazis out, what would this
piece of ... of... merde?..... be doing to earn a living under Axis now?
Maybe the "Underground" could dust off some of their relics and take on
another mission to clear the honor of France. Or is "Direct Action"
something that is frowned on in regards to a countries honor? Politicians
may make the decisions, but the citizens do the dying on the pointy end of
the spear, so that the scum left behind can rise to the surface afterwards,
when it's safe.
    Sometimes, maybe ignorance is bliss. If I hadn't seen this news story
tonight, I wouldn't be so disgusted right now.

Ron