Re: [MV] PRC-6 and such

From: Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 18:31:05 PDT

Hi Kenny,

Well, ya see, the "PRC-6" (AN/PRC-6) is not a field phone at all. It is
a hand-held radio receiver-transmitter ("handy-talky") of Korean War to
early Viet Nam vintage. Maybe mid-Viet Nam. It is a tube-type, FM set
which operates around 50 MHz. The Jewish Army apparently used them until
fairly recently as they have released some to the "surplus" market over
the past three or so years.

As for field phones, the WW-II vintage EE-8 was used in Korea, being
gradually replaced by the TA-43/PT phone. The TA-312/PT phone came along
at some point during the Viet Nam conflict, and was still in use until
quite recently, especially by National Guard units. Also to be found in
Korea and used until recently (perhaps still, in some units) was the
TA-1/PT sound powered phone. Sound powered means that, unlike the
others, it uses no batteries. A rather poor performer in my opinion.

Ed Greeley
Mobile, AL