Wrecker fuel tank question

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 22:23:29 PDT

I have a dumb question about the dual fuel tanks on my 1965 M543A2
5-ton 6x6 wrecker. If I understand things correctly, the engine draws
fuel from the primary tank, and a transfer pump controlled by a switch
on the dash pumps fuel from the secondary tank to the primary tank.
A knob on the dash lets me check the fuel level in either the left or
right tank.

So, which tank is the primary, and which is the secondary? I know my
right tank is 1/4 full and my left tank is 3/4 full, but I don't know
which one supplies the engine.

I haven't traced the plumbing yet, and so far I only have an
electronic copy of the ^$#^!%$$!#%^$#^&!! "experimental" TMs from the
70's, which would be frustrating to study even if I wasn't reading
them on a Pentium 90! :-) The wiring around the fuel tanks has seen
better days, so I haven't tried powering the transfer pump yet. I'd
like to re-wire it and the senders first (along with a lot of frayed
stuff in the engine compartment).

Thanks in advance!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/