Re: [MV] questions for the wiser that me

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 21:28:53 PDT

Brian Leffler <leffield@yahoo.com> wrote:
> #3- How do the airshift deuce and 5 ton transfer cases
> work? ie Are they a solenoid that opens a valve
> allowing the air pressure to actuate a shift lever, or
> are the switches on the dash the actual valves
> themselves? I have a TM but it doesn't cover the
> airshift upgrade.

In my 2.5-ton van, the dash lever is the actual air valve, with a
built-in switch for the "engaged" light. I don't remember whether the
switch is actuated mechanically or by air pressure.

I haven't seen a 5-ton air shift. My 5-ton wrecker has a sprag clutch.
I think the forward/reverse shift in the M543A2 wrecker's 5-ton sprag
clutch transfer is actuated pneumatically, with air pressure supplied
by something in the transmission. In fact, my truck currently has an
air leak that causes air to blow out the shift lever opening in the
transmission, and my hunch is that there's a bad seal in one of the
air thingies (valves for actuating the transfer forward/reverse shift,
maybe?) on the upper right side of the tranny, causing the tranny to
be pressurized. I'll have to look into that some more tomorrow...

I haven't seen one in person, but I think the 2.5-ton's sprag clutch
transfer is switched from forward to reverse mechanically. My deuce's
tranny has a shaft that pokes out in reverse, and I think it would
actuate the forward/reverse shift through a linkage if I had a sprag
clutch transfer.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/