Re: [MVlist] welding/repair technique question

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 10:53:49 PDT

Aside from the obvious danger of taking a torch to a gas tank.

 How about soldering a patch panel onto the bottom of the tank. Not exactly
pleasing from a restoration point, but very practical. Brazing requires a lot
of heat that will tend to warp the hell out of the thin sheet metal. Galvanized
sheet metal solders very easily - I'd use that for a patch material - 20 gauge
might be good. I'd use either a propane torch or a very large 300 watt or
larger soldering iron - not the gun type - but a real electric iron - they are
pretty hard to find now. Use acid core solder with additional flux and
properly prep the tank metal - shiny and bright is good - and it should be a
snap.

Good luck.

Dave