Re: [MV] Weapon-laden vehicle brings charges for man

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 16:34:57 PDT

Common sense dicates prudence in these situations.

For the most part, cops are decent folks, who don't like surprises. Given half
a chance, they would be happy to assist in helping an MV (even a tank) move from
Point A to Point B. They just don't like being surprised by one. We've spent so
much time hammering them with the domestic terrorist issue, that they won't take
the optimistic view when a tank comes rumbling down the road (we all saw the
M-60 MBT in San Diego a few years back, right?)

On the other hand, when we have fulfilled our obligation of proper licensing and
insurance of the vehicle, and let the local law know when and where the vehicle
is moving, they will most likely be happy to turn the even into an ad hoc
patrotic parade of sorts, provided that it's not too overly disruptive to the
traffic flow. Given a few day's notice, I'm sure that there's at least one
motor officer willing to donate a few off-duty hours to provide an escort
(providing that you don't crunch him) to show the public that this big beastie
is one of the good guys.

Now, of course, you don't HAVE to go through this, but I figure it's the whole,
honey vs. vinegar thing.

My two cents...

(Of course, if you're local MV club has close ties with the Couty, and local law
enforcement, this sort of stuff shouldn't hapen at all...)

Bill