Re: [MV] welding/repair technique question

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 21:35:53 PDT

Re: GAS TANK ANTI-RUST COATINGS

A caution about coating a gas tank inside and out.

I have a good original gas tank on my ex-Norway ex-UK Willys MB. I decided
to have it commercially coated inside and out to preserve it and to ensure
rust particles did not migrate from the tank to the carburetor - causing
blockages during parades - and to avoid having later pinhole leaks.

CAUTION!

The radiator/gas tank company did NOT tell me they were going to CUT three
(3) 1" holes in my gas tank and then solder (?) them shut with plugs! Where
did they put these plugs? Well, it would not matter on most gas tanks on
vintage cars as they are usually hidden, but on a Willys MB? They put two of
them in the MOST OBVIOUS PLACE! i.e. Top side, 'facing' driver's seat where
an MB tank shows the most!
:-(

Drain plug was blocked too by this process i.e. no longer removable. My gas
tank developed a small leak from the drain plug which showed up as a puddle
under my jeep at a vintage car show. I removed the gas tank and tried to
tighten the drain plug, and instead the leak became worse. The plug remained
tight in its housing nut that used to be securely soldered or brazed to the
gas tank. The plug housing started to rotate and then the whole plug came
out (I had drained the tank before removing the tank of course. I HAVE to
buy a gas tank siphon pump - blechh!!) . My anti-leak warranty was then
Kaput! We used an epoxy (?) gas tank sealer and it worked well but drain
hole is now 'permanently' plugged.

OD paint does NOT stick well to the gas tank coating. It bubbles off and
requires constant retouching.

LESSONS LEARNED about gas tank coating?
1. IF you are going to do it, consider having only the inside of the gas
tank coated (to heck with a lifetime warranty which they only want to give
if they can do the inside and outside of the tank).
2. TALK to person who will do the job and get agreement WHERE holes will be
cut. MARK them on the tank before you leave! Tell him you will sue him if he
cuts them anywhere else.
3. If a leak develops, take it back and don't void any warranty by trying a
self-fix. STAND there while they fix it - and bearing in mind the earlier
advice, if they reach for a welding torch, go for coffee!

Would I do it again?
Not the same way. I would only coat the INSIDE of the tank IF I could pick
where the holes would be drilled - OUT OF SIGHT. My jeep by the way is
virtually complete and back from military service in Norway (until 1985) and
probably in British Airborne in WWII as a wireless (radio) jeep is a "combat
class" not a factory original.

Repro gas tanks? Quality varies no doubt. One friend ordered one and by the
time it arrived, the solder had let go and the filler neck was loose. SCARY!

Comments & opinions folks?

Colin Macgregor Stevens

NOTE: I lost about 100 messages in early April, 11 or more messages on 2001
APR 30/May 1 and about 10 more on May 16 due to a server problem. If you
sent me a message during that time that was not answered, please resend it.
Thanks.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycles (2)