Re: [MV] welding/repair technique question

From: Larry DeSoto (ldesoto@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 23:42:25 PDT

I just finished repairing a fuel tank on an MGB..it's green, okay...

The tank had major rust from sitting up 10 years. I took 5 gallons of
gasoline and 2 gallons
of water out of it. The entire bottom was scaly rust with pinholes and a
long rusted through crack.
I cleaned the exterior then fiberglassed it using some random weave fabric.
That stuff is really
nice as it easily goes down around complex shapes. I then got the Eastman
tank cleaner/sealer
and sealed the inside. It looks really nice, holds fuel and doesn't have
any rust to get sucked
into the carb.

The process for sealing the tank is a real toxic waste dump though. Muric
acid, acetone, various
other nasty chemicals...the muric acid got me even through a canister mask
and closed eye
protection.

Larry