worth saying

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 09:23:39 PDT

Some people have already said similiar things about police and mil-vehs, but
it's worth saying again:

1. If you own a mil-veh with weapons on it, working or not, be sure you let
your local enforcement know it and in a nice way!

I did that in this town of 70,000 and I drive my armoured car with machine
gun around town and never had a problem. If I am going to another town for a
show, I give local law enforcement a courtesy call or I will send them a
flier with a pic of the vehicle, explaining my purpose.

2. If possible, offer your vehicle for use to your local law enforcement in
the event an of a life threatening emergency. I did and once it was actually
called to a shooting scene. Fortunately it all ended well and no one was
hurt, but I was ready to act as a shield and the cops were forever thankful
for the jesture.

Speaking from experience and as a retired cop, officers love military stuff
and armour is the best. However, as one of you recently pointed, they don't
like surprises by vehicles equipped with machine guns!

I think the recent situation in West Haven was clearly not something that
should have alarmed any normal person. It was in a parking lot, people were
getting rides, it was not on a rampage, it was a very docile controlled
situation. Given this, only the foolish or extremely ignornant could have
been alarmed at this site and fearing for their safety. However, even so, I
bet that whole thing could have been prevented with an advance call of
explanation coupled with being really friendly.

I'm sure the police dept would have been understanding, if not accomodating.
I say this even if the vehicle was 100% street legal. That doesn't matter,
what matters is not upsetting people and being cooperative with law
enforcement for the good of the hobbie.

My 2 cents worth.

Jack Lee