Re: [MV] Ferret starter problems

From: The McRoberts Family (leannemc@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 05:35:27 PDT

Jack,

Your problem with the Ferret starter reminded me of what I think is a
similar problem I encountered with a Humber 1 ton truck (British built - not
noted for its ease of maintenance or adherence to the KISS principle), which
has the same motor as your Ferret.

I was perplexed for a long time when trying to start the Humber, because I
knew I had power to all the important areas but the starter motor would not
turn over. After a great deal of unnecessary work in changing over voltage
regulators and even starter motors, a friend examined the wiring diagram and
suggested I check the earth wire INSIDE the starter motor. It is only
small, but it was broken (in both starter motors) and when fixed, solved my
problem. I don't know if your fault is the same and I can guarantee that in
a Ferret, your starter won't be as accessible as mine was in the Humber,
but if all else fails, have a look at the little bugger in the starter.

Anyone who owns a Ferret/Saracen/Saladin/Champ deserves all the help we can
provide.

Jack McROBERTS