WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #73 & #74

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 12:32:04 PDT

Friday night I primed and painted all the nuts and bolts.

Saturday I bagged them again. Then I got to take down my plastic paint
booth. This freed up a lot of space and cleaned up the look of the garage
quite a bit, felt like I was making progress.

The rest of Saturday was spent on brakes. You all might remember my fight
with the brakes back at the end of March and ultimately deciding I needed
new flexible lines. Those came in from Midwest Military back in April, but
not wanting to get paint on them, I held off on the installation until
now. The front three lines went in without trouble, but the rear line
didn't want to come loose. It appeared to be in decent shape so I gave it
a pass for now and went on to brake cylinders.

The wheels and drums all came off easily, as did the cylinders
themselves. I started at the drive's side rear and found crud in the
cylinder. I fashioned a lapping tool from a 3M red Scotch Bright wheel and
long bolt which I put in the drill and used to polish in inside of the
cylinder. It cleaned up fine with no pitting so I re-assembled
it. Passenger side rear was fine, didn't even need to be cleaned. Front
Passenger side was rough, fluid had actually dried out into waxy
deposits. It cleaned up pretty good but I'll have to keep an eye on
it. The front drive's side was worse and pitted. I cleaned it up anyway
and put it in, but as I feared, it leaks. I ordered a replacement this
morning from Midwest.

I'm not getting any fluid at the rear, so I'll try replacing that last flex
line tonight. Hope I can get it off without braking the solid line. The
brake shoes all looked good, so I'm hoping I'll have the system sorted out
as soon as that part gets here.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA