Re: [MV] WC 12 Reality check

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 20:45:33 PDT

I agree with Joe Young.

Join a club (e.g. http://www.mvpa.org ) and don't buy the first wreck that
you see UNLESS a knowledgeable collector tells you that it is a gem in the
rough and rare and a good price, and you have the skills, space and money to
follow through on it.

I advise newcomers to dream. Dream that God, has placed one mint example of
every type of military vehicle ever made in a field and told you that you
can pick any ONE (1), but ONLY one. Which ONE would you chose? This clearly
about what you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want, deep down. OK, so you are not on
God's Christmas list. OK then, try a shortlist. Be a little more reasonable,
and figure out what is affordable (say in the $1000 - $5,000 range) that you
would buy if you walked into a surplus yard and there were say: a 1942
Willys MB jeep, 1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, a 1944 Dodge 3/4 ton, 1945 CCKW 2-1/2
ton, Korean War period vehicles, Vietnam War period vehicles and recently
released Gulf War vehicles.

What would you chose? A World War II vehicle like Dad drove, or something
later - perhaps like something you drove in the service? A lot of people buy
post-WWII jeeps, WISHING they were actually WWII jeeps. Cargo or special
purpose vehicle such as an ambulance? Want a gun on it? Big 6x6 or small
cute 4x4? Exotic tracked vehicle or a militarized Chevy pick-up truck?

If you REALLY want a WWII jeep for example, why settle for the FIRST
ex-military vehicle that you come across? Sure it was military, but it is a
totally different vehicle. Most types of military vehicles ARE out there,
but you have to look. It is also a case of buyer beware. This is where club
contacts can help.

Sure the exotic vehicles such as Panther tanks, Willys MA early jeeps,
Kubelwagons etc. are RARE and damned expensive. Sherman tanks, Willys MB
jeeps, Dodge Command Cars, Halftracks (halftracs to our American friends),
DUKWs ("Duck") are more common, but are still expensive.

What do you REALLY want? A "turn key" excellent condition vehicle (restored
or original) or a basket case that will take you years to restore - or maybe
you will never finish it?

Are you a mechanic? Do you have a shop? Does you wife understand you?

Do your research BEFORE buying. Are the vehicle data plates there? Title?
What model was it and what parts are missing? What are the market prices for
that type of vehicle? Will you love the finished product or will you say,
"Gosh, I could have had a V-8!" (saying from an old TV commercial for a
vegetable drink).

What use do you plan for it? Vintage rallies only? 4x4 in the bush? Daily
driver? Commercial truck that will earn its keep? Factory original car show
100 pointer?

Most (?) people end up selling off the first vehicle they bought, because it
wasn't exactly what they wanted, or they found a better condition one.

Consider too, can you sell it for more that you paid for it if you change
your mind? Remember that vehicles that are dismantled are VERY hard to
sell - and restore.

Colin Macgregor Stevens

NOTE: I lost about 100 messages in early April, 11 or more messages on 2001
APR 30/May 1 and about 10 more on May 16, about June 01 and again on June
13/14 due to a server problem. If you sent me a message during that time
that was not answered, please resend it. Thanks.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycles (2)