Re: [MV] Registering Texas M35A2 in Kalifornia?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 20:43:04 PDT

"Jim Newton" <jnewton@laurel.com> wrote:
> Well my M35A2 finally showed up, and it is REALLY in great shape, much
[...]
> Anyway, I'm ready to transfer and register it here in Kalifornia.
>
> I am seeking advise SPECIFICALLY from any of you who have actually
> personally registered an out-of-state M35A2 or other heavy truck in
> the fine state of Kalifornia.

I've been through this a few times... :-)

> o Is a Antique/Collector Vehicle license good to get?
> o How can I avoid commercial truck road taxes?

I assume you are referring to Historic Vehicle plates. Yes! It is the
only legal way I know of to avoid the annual weight fees of almost
$1000 per year that you would otherwise pay on a deuce in KA. I sure
hope your deuce is at least 25 years old! Your truck will need a VIN
inspection, either at DMV or by a licensed VIN verifier or peace
officer. A weight certificate is required for most out-of-state
trucks, but should not be required for a Historic Vehicle, because the
DMV's computer system will not accept a body type code other than
"car" (or something like that) for Historic Vehicles. Unfortunately,
some of the clerks at DMV don't know that (Historic Vehicles are very
uncommon), and I was required to get a weight certificate when I
registered my first deuce. Be patient, happy and helpful, and politely
explain why a weight certificate should not be required.

> o Can I get the "CA Number" waived to lower insurance requirements?
> o Are there insurance issues concerning vehicles over 10,000 Lbs?

I insured mine as an antique/collector vehicle through JC Taylor. I do
not have a CA number.

> Then I have questions about the license I will be required to get to
> drive it:
>
> o Do Antique and Collector vehicles require a Class B license?

According to the DMV, the CHP, and my own study of the Kalifornia
Vehicle Code, having Historic Vehicle plates does not affect the
licensing requirements. Some folks believe otherwise, but I have never
seen any hard evidence that supports their opinion, and the folks who
write the tickets disagree with them.

> o If I need a Class B, how do I go about getting it?

You will need to pass a written test and write a check at the DMV to
get your learner's permit, which is good for one year, and allows you
to drive class B trucks with a class A or B CDL holder in the right
hand seat. Then, you must pass a drive test at the DMV. I chose to go
to a trucking school and get a class A CDL. Not cheap, but that's what
I decided to do. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck with your new toy! It looks really nice.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/