Re: [MV] Military Vechicle and insurance

From: Pike Bishop (wildbunch1@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 11:01:10 PDT

Howdy:
AP's story was my nightmare! About 18 years ago, I had many of my MV's, machine
guns and other military equipment at a West Texas Air Show (one of the best WWII
Shows at that time). We would perform in the Tora, Tora, Tora act, driving
halftracks, Dodges, Jeeps, et al around the runway and shooting at the attacking
"Japanese" aircraft. The festivities ran for several days, culminating in the
actual event on Sunday. During the evenings, there were giant
parties.......Texas style in the Bomber Hangar; good country music, plenty of
Texas Bar-B-Que, lots of carryin' on and of course, an open bar. My group was
enjoyin' it all when someone notified me that one of my halftracks was missing
and last seen on the flight line. It turned out that 2 drunks had absconded
with the track and were weaving in and out of rows of parked P-51 Mustangs,
Corsairs, P-40's, Spitfires, et al and headin' toward Bomber row, where 2ea
B-17's, 10ea B-25's, 4ea A-26's and misc other multi engine aircraft were!! We
quickly got the track stopped and the drunks were taken back to the party and
locked in a couple of Port-A-Potties for awhile.
Later, it turned out that our 'two drunk friends' had flown into the show in
their vintage WWII warbirds and had played with a halftrack on their family farm
as kids. It was a bet to see who could remember how to get the beast started,
and well, one thing led to another.......... Disaster was averted!!!, but it
could have been millions in damage and probably my ass on the hook!
Pike
TEXAS!