WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #78

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 13:54:24 PDT

Things went better last night. Got the repaired light switch connected to
the harness and back in place. Then I finished up behind the dash
wiring. I didn't hook up the dash lights (poor insulation
condition). Then the gages went back in. I masked the gages and grabbed a
spray can from the case I just received from Rapco. I tested it in an
inconspicuous spot and was pleased to find it matched nicely once it dried
out. I then painted the gage surrounds and the window channels in the
doors (the windows were up when I painted the body.)

Then I couldn't put it off any longer and had to strip the paint from a few
parts that didn't go to the sandblaster. The two fender pieces took the
longest... I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember where they fit into the
fender puzzle... but they look like engine splash guards of some
sort. Besides stripping those, I had a piece of window trim, the two small
blackout light lens housings, and a reflector that mounts in place of the
trailer socket, and... Oh, and the glove box door.

I received new data plates with the paint from Rapco, so I went ahead and
drilled the rivets holding the old plates on the glove box. Neat thing was
that under the data plates was unmolested OD green paint from 1942. I used
a razor blade and lifted a 2" x 2" section off this old paint off and laid
it on the cowl of the Carryall. It's very close, almost imperceptibly
darker than the Gillespie Lusterless "Khaki" Olive Drab #34087. I took
photos, and you can't see a difference at all with the camera.

I went ahead and primed everything I had stripped and called it a
night. Color paint on these miscellaneous parts tonight, then I think I'll
be putting the battery box, running board, and fender brackets on.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall