CCKW---Conversion to 12V

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 15:23:20 PDT

Dear Doc,and others

OK...I am convinced, thanks for your concise reply.

The cell phone almost broke me, but still i needed more,
I rang a fellow who is an engineer and CCKW owner, who i
knew had driven his all over the place. He said 6V
was fine, he had no trouble...but even after replacing
everything, the spark was weak..so i bunged in a
12v battery and coil, and it roared to life,
nice fat blue spark, starter spins really well,
it used to grind and smoke on 6V, even after rebuild.

6V is original and cool, but not starting is uncool.

That brings me to the fuel pump, I dont like the look of it much,
and had thought an electric would be more sensible, i have done this
before to solve old fuel pump problems.

Do u mean a generic type electric pump, such as those available
at cheapo auto parts stores?

also what do u do with the original pump, ie leave it on? blank off?

The reason i ask is that i still had starting problems, that seemed fuel
related
I would have to rebuild the fuel pump anyway, it will probably cost about
the
same, but then i know the pressure is steady with electric.

I will play with it today......are they prone to "flooding" causing failure
to start?

I adjusted the linkages etc, but was to dark and mosquitoes to continue.

I will wire in a resistor for the 12V coil, I believe from your reply that
I could have used the 6V coil, but i dont want to cook it.

The engineer has just sold his CCKW, it was totally original, complete and
perfect
$13000..ie US 7000$, he also told me that GMC engines hate to run lean, and
will
pop exhaust valves if run lean.

He does not know if i can run an extra PTO of the tranny, on the opposite
side to the winch PTO, the parts manual has this cover called the same
as LH PTO cover...he did suggest to remove the PTO drive shaft and put a
keyway
on the back end, if i wanted to rear drive my hydraulic setup, he said this
was how the dual drive PTO worked, but it does not look like that to me in
the
parts manual.

One more question....how smokey should a GMC engine be, mine is a bit smokey
and smelly, the neighbours dont like it.It is gray smoke.

tony