Re: [MV] 4 wheeled trailer for Bren Carrier

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 17:33:47 PDT

Reference: Dr. Bill Gregg's reprint of 1944 VEHICLE DATA BOOK (Canadian
Army)

TRAILER 4 WH, 5 Ton GS LOA 212" incl. drawbar. WB 102", ht 86". Made by
Eagle Engineering Co. Has end walls and posts and chain rails on sides.

TRAILER, 4-WH, 6-Ton, GS made by Carrimore Tractor Co., Scammel & Nephew.
Used by RCEME (advanced base workshops only) for movement of heavy 1098
machinery such as large lathes, milling machines etc. from one static
location to another. 10.50 x 16 tires, composite flat bed length 22 ft.
Hand parking brakes. End board s fold down. Formerly known as Holdfast
Trailer. 180" WB LOA with drawbar 324", ht 54"

The TRAILER, 6-WH, 7 Ton, Light Recovery (Vehicle code 18M-F-LREC) was used
by RCEME workshops and by certain LADs (Light Aid Detachment) type A for
transporting universal carriers and other light tracked and wheeled vehicles
to repair areas." All steel, length 148 in, 2 steel loading ramps, hard
specifications. LOA 239" with drawbar, WB 136 (to centre point between two
rear axles), ht 58"

There were many other trailers 4 Wh for special purposes such as GS ,
bridging equipment, motor boat carriers, folding boat equipment,
machinery-grind & brake, Machinery 60 ton press, , heavy compressor Anti
aircraft gear, laundry.

Look for data plates, dimensions, troughs for the tracks/wheels, loading
ramps (or evidence thereof) and equipment such as a winch at front to haul
on board Geoff Winnington-Ball's Universal Carrier when it breaks down. ;-)

I have photos of each of these trailers in the above reference, plus more
information in the Army Engineering Design Branch DESIGN RECORD.

British Army might have had even more variations, especially pre-war or
early war.

Rare? Yes I think it is. I have only come across one 4 wh WWII Canadian
trailer, a GS one out in Saskatchewan 20 years ago. Valuable? If practical
for hauling a UC to shows, then yes. Would be a nice accessory towed behind
a big CMP, Diamond T, Mack or Scammel etc. at Beltring etc. If not
practical for moving a UC, could be marginal value as a collectible.

Colin Macgregor Stevens

NOTE: I lost about 100 messages in early April, 11 or more messages on 2001
APR 30/May 1 and about 10 more on May 16, about June 01 and again on June
13/14 due to a server problem. If you sent me a message during that time
that was not answered, please resend it. Thanks.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycles (2)