WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #83

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:18:59 PDT

Putting all the hardware in the floor has turned out to be more effort than
cutting the wood. I started out yesterday evening lightly sanding, and
applying the 2nd coat of varnish to the wood. I put the fans on to help
the varnish dry faster and then went through the floor hardware, cleaning
up and straightening bolts as needed. Then I put a dollop of grease in
each captive nuts and laid the floor pieces back in.

I measured and marked the center section for the fuel tank sending unit
access hole. I pulled that section out, cut the access hole, and put it
back in. Then I started putting the center line of retaining screws /
bolts in. For those of you unfamiliar with the Carryall floor, it's all
held in by slotted head screws/bolts that go through a piece of trim, the
wood, then into a captive nut mounted on the body. The center line of
screws is the exception (no trim).

I started with the six large clevis bolts that hold the body to the
frame. One of them was stubborn, but the rest went in without
difficulty. I tackled the center line of bolts next. This went ok, but I
found the center section to be a little snug once the screws were in, so I
had to pull it and trim the front end. Once it was back in I did the trim
at the front of the floor, (had to enlarge two or three of the holes in the
wood.) Then I put in the skid strips, which went ok, but still required
several adjustments and tweaking two get all the bolts in.

It was late, but I gathered all the outside edge trim and had a miniature
jigsaw puzzle session figuring out how they all fit again. They are laying
there now, waiting for the retaining bolts to be put in. Should have a
floor tonight!

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA