Re: [MV] Engine Rotation

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 15:41:40 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <mbstartech@juno.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Engine Rotation

> To the best of my understanding, an alternator will charge in either
> direction-electrically, rotation shouldn't matter. However, the cooling
> fan on the alternator does need to be turning in the correct direction.
> Double-check your hookup, and make sure you've wired everything
> correctly. Then, check wiring continuity, to be sure it's there. You
> may have broken a wire, and not know it.

With a regular three terminal alternator: ground, warning light and charge
out (battery), it is likely that any fault in the warning light circuit,
often the bulb blown, will stop the alternator charging. The tiny current
through this bulb causes the initial rotor field excitation, without this
most types will never generate anything.

Richard
Southampton - England