MB clutch advice please

From: Glenn (glenntaylor@hotpop.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 02:16:06 PDT

Hi Listers
Removed clutch from MB to see what was making a horrible noise when
disengaged. i.e. engine running, depress clutch - graunch rumble graunch -
nasty !

The four springs on the clutch plate were rubbing on the heads of the studs
which hold the flywheel on !
Must have rubbed a 32nd of an inch off the springs and the studs.
The clutch plate was on the right way round.
I can only assume that the clutch plate was the wrong type (Tyco) - or a
previous owner had skimmed the flywheel (or both).
So there was little clearance between the springs and the studs when the
clutch was new, but as it wore down they eventually made contact. There's
still plenty of lining left.

The fingers on the clutch bracket were set to 1.25" instead of the 27/32" in
the manual. Can't think why.
I have reset them to 27/32" but don't know if this is a good idea.
Now have new clutch plate.
The centre boss and springs do not stick out in front of the lining as far
as on the old plate, so this should stop the rubbing ok.
Question is, do I set the fingers to 27/32" ? or should I just pay for a
complete new clutch assembly. Or does anyone know the distance to set
between the face of the clutch release plate and the flywheel face ?
(Assuming that the clutch bracket and release plate are the correct items.)

Glenn