[MV] Bumper #s...illegal???

From: RKubu@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 06:53:44 PDT

List,
I just spoke with a member of the Maryland Army NG and he said that it is illegal to place bumper #s on any vehicle that was formerly the property of the military. Has anyone heard of this before? Any truth to it? Imtold him that my trucks were legally purchased, are privately insured and tagged, and operated legally. I also told him that I do not attempt to impersonate the military. Every one of my trucks came into my possession, whether directly from the DRMO or a private dealer, with bumper #s. I have heard each unit is supposed to eliminate any unit markings before they turn their vehicles in. However, I suppose most actually don't. The Sgt. I spoke with told me that, if they see any military vehicle being operated by a private owner, they will call the state police and report it stolen. Then, according to this guy, the police show up at your door demanding proof of ownership. I am going to start carrying around a copy of the title just in case I am stopped. May!
be, it is eventually going to be
 like Central America where you can't even own or operate a vehicle painted with military colors.

Bruce

1967 M35A2 w/w
1971 M35A2 w/w
1972 M35A2C w/w