Re: [MV] Bumper #s...illegal???

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 16:14:53 PDT

List,
The numbers on an active unit truck constitute an important component of the official orders for the unit to have that truck. During inventory inspections, uniforrm and correct numbering and lettering is scored, and in case of an on-base traffic incident or infraction, said numbers are used as the vehicle ID. SO they do have some legal standing. An 18 year old MP who was a civilian mall rat ten months ago is NOT likely to know retired obsolete vehicles from newly issued ones, especially if they are in restored condition. In the case of ex-gi parts in original wrappers, that COULD be a big problem. I travel the country with loads of mil parts, and I'd be hard pressed to prove ownership at any given time. I buy in lots, and I honestly don't know where most of my stuff came from, as most dealers I buy from just send an invoice which says "Truck parts" period. I do attend swap meets on military bases, and I've often wondered what would happen if I were to be challenged about pack!
aged parts in mil wrappers. I've
 never been called on ownership of a vehicle or trailer on the WAY INTO a base, but I've gotten some close scrutiny on the way back out. Stands to reason, eh?
I'll have to give this more thought, but meanwhile, let's not make this a public issue, or else we give them one more reason to shut off surplus sales. I invite email comments!
Regards,
Jack