After Action Report...4th Parade

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 09:08:04 PDT

Started early, around 6am to outfit the M114 for the parade. I had parked
it the day before at the local Police Station where it could be watched.
Mounted the guns and antennas and waited for the local MV club members to
arrive and escort me to the parade start area, about 4 miles away.

The Local MVers were to convoy over and drove right past the police
department.......no escort....so I enlisted the help of the local police
for a police escort, which they were more than willing to provide. There
were no problems but it felt pretty funny to be in traffic with a tracked
vehicle.

Got to the start point and rounded up my daughter and her friends and the
25 pounds of candy I bought for them to throw. Off we went, the vehicle ran
perfectly, the crowds were great, and no one was scared nor did I see
anyone run for cover, possibly thinking we were terrorists. It was great,
with full compliment of 2-M16s, 1-M79 and a M60 and M2HB.....some Vietnam
impressionists walking with us.....thousands turned out to wave the flag.
Local Cable provider filmed it for broadcast that night.

At the end of the parade, we were all to proceed back to a city park we had
reserved for a BBQ. Out on the main 4 lane we went...and i was promptly
left behind. In traffic, with a dozen vehicles....going around 20mph as
that is all I want to do in the track. In and out of several subdivisions
we went to the delight of the residents........Put over 50 miles on the
track that day without a hitch, no complaints and with the full cooperation
of the police......We basically went wherever we wanted to go.....no
plates, on tracks, what a country!

God Bless America!

It was a great day!

Jon in St Louis