buying M35A2, was: questions from Roger

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 01:11:34 PDT

 Hi Roger!
 Point by point,

>>This is the first E-Mail I've sent to a mailing list, >>so be kind!
 No special treatment here..if you can't play with the big dogs, stay on the
 porch. (kidding!)

>>I'm thinking strongly of buying an M35A2 and am >>wondering if I could get
 some info.
>>1. Just how capable is the M35A2 for off roading.
 Very...will go most anywhere, if you have scuba gear.

>>2. Are the rear and front axle's lockers.
 No, not needed...

>>3. I'll be driving it some in town and around, so how much fun are they in
 traffic.
 Loads of fun for you, they terrify the other drivers. Steer like a bear,
 takes really big arms to parallel park, pretty fair braking system, will
 smoosh most cars that get in the way.

>>4. What's the maintenance like on the monster. I've >>rebuilt
 motorcycles,and older cars >>(motor,transmission, ect.) before the computer
>>revolution. Most of the older cars were easy to work >>on.
 Forget everything you learned. This is NOT a car. Get the manuals right away,
 and get a LOT of kitty litter and rags, and buy grease, oil, and gunk by
 the case. Practice smelling diesel fuel, by dribbling it all over the carpets
 and your clothing, and buy a lot of green pants to sit on the treated canvas
 seats with. Buy a lot of extra big size band aids, and some air sick pills.

>>5. Are they pretty stable on off camber positions >>(i.e.. roll over).
 No, not at all, in fact, they'll roll in a sharp turn, on flat dry pavement,
  if you hot dog it. Very top heavy. They're made to track well offroad, so
 there is not enough caster in the steering system to return the wheel with a
 snap, in a tight turn. You have to drive one of these around a turn, not
 think it around.

>>6. What is the ground clearance.
 You can mow under it without moving it, and drive right over most parking
 barriers. The police get really pissed when you bend the road signs though.

>>7. Is there a chance of other tires fitting the rims rather than the OEM.
 yes, tires are plentiful. Find a shop that doesn't mind servicing Budd
 Lock-ring wheels. Don't ask about "split rims", because they'll think you
 mean something else, and they'll look at you and laugh like Stalin laughed
 when he took over Eastern Europe. These are not split rims.

>>And finally, any other information anyone could give >>me on these knarley
 vehicles. I've always wanted one >>and now have a chance to purchase one!

 Knarley? Did you say Knarley?? You have NO idea! You're gonna love this
 truck! Just wait til you get your first case of "tailgate thumb"!

 helpfully,
 Jack