Re: [MV] Urban legend or not? trenches of parts, long

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 20:45:44 PDT

Canada did it too

CFB Petawawa near Ottawa, Ontario - we are trying to locate a trench where
they buried a bunch of WWII GERMAN vehicles including armour. Late 1940s or
early 1950s. MV collectors are actively researching and trying to pinpoint
the location.

CFB Shearwater, Nova Scotia - LtCommander Ken Meikle, a Royal Canadian Navy
aviator, told me that they buried Seafires (Mark XV) as landfill and Liberty
aircraft engines, when extending the runways. (c. 1950s-1960s).

5 Operational Training Unit (5OTU) - RAF B-24 base in Abbotsford, British
Columbia. After the war they scrapped the B-24 bombers. Aircraft radios were
put in a trench and a bulldozer was driven back and forth. Ref. Michael
DesMazes, Curator, Fraser Valley Military Museum who was told by
eyewitnesses.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycle
1943 Ford GPA amphibious jeep (unrestored, modified for world travel by
Lionel Forge in the late 1950s-1960s)
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Club web site: http://www.westerncommand.com