Ford GPA amphibious jeeps - contacting owners

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 21:08:15 PDT

I have just acquired a Ford GPA amphibious jeep. It is unrestored and was
modified by its first owner (1957-2001) . A photo I took of it appears in
Wheels & Tracks #65 (1998) page 13. (Caterpillar D-7 bulldozer on the
cover).

I would like to contact fellow GPA owners around the world.

Jan Roelse jrroelse@zeelandnet.nl in Holland has the one that was in
Elliott's yard in Ontario, Canada. - also once pictured in W&T. I believe
Jan has two GPAs in Holland.

Lonnie Haack sodbustr@cyberport.net also has one in the USA and the son has
now decided to restore it. SN 11747 ???

Wes Mutch WSMutch@aol.com <WSMutch@aol.com> is restoring one as well. His
was dismantled when he got it. Serial number in 9XXX range.

My own GPA can be seen on my page on the GPA -
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/gpa.htm I do not yet know the serial number but
the USA registration number (please DON'T call it a "hood number" !!!! - my
pet peeve about jeep nuts) is likely 7012118 as that is what it was
registered as back in 1957.

Several of us are looking for replica (or take off) data plates. Does any
one know of a source? Someone heard that someone in Australia had made some.
Mine probably needs the larger late type of data plates.

Of course I'm also looking for manuals (preferably originals). :-)

Rod Walker ra.walker@qut.edu.au now has his web site back up and running
and it includes a list of GPA data. Many of those listed are now wrecks or
data plates only, but it is useful for research.
http://www.eese.bee.qut.edu.au/QUAV/Rod/JeepShed/ Click on Meet the Seep.
He owns a couple of GPAs in Australia.

Thank you

Colin Macgregor Stevens

NOTE: I lost about 100 messages in early April, 11 or more messages on 2001
APR 30/May 1 and about 10 more on May 16, about June 01 and again on June
13/14, and about 6 messages on June 29/30 due to a server problem. If you
sent me a message during that time that was not answered, please resend it.
Thanks.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycle
1943 Ford GPA amphibious jeep (unrestored, modified for world travel by
Lionel Forge in the late 1950s-1960s)
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Club web site: http://www.westerncommand.com