M715- AKA "the beast"

From: mark fisher (fishmeok@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 10:55:04 PDT

We had the kind of vision that comes from time in the trenches, and we were
right about this beast. I'm glad you guys have developed workarounds for the
problems. I can picture the Jeep engineers slapping their heads and
saying..."Wow, we could have had a V-8!"

> Regards,
> Jack
Hi all
I think "beast" is a very good word to describe the 715- It's very much a
trade-off, half civilian and half military. They tried to make something
cheap, but as usual it didn't work out that way. The Army tried some
different engines in the 70's (I think mostly Ford sixes- see the M715 zone
website for details) but around then they were getting into the idea of the
CUCV's etc-
The M715 is kind of half M37 half J20 and like most compromises is not quite
as good as either original.
But for those of us who own them, they are great fun. Sort of the biggest
Jeep you can have and still fit into your garage. "Cult Following" is
definately the word to use...
Plus you can get them cheap, and parts are easy to find.
Cheers
Mark
'67 M715
'52 M38A1