Re: [MV] M715 Repower Madness [sorta long]

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 21:00:05 PST

>To all M715 experts and drivers,
>
>I did not want any kind of war as to who's engine is better.
> AllI asked was what options I had available to replace the 350 in the
>Vehicle I intend to purchase.
>I intend to use an inline 6 cylinder "case closed".
>Which one I don't know, I have been over-whelmed with info from all
>sorts of sites from: M715zone.com (I'm now a member), offroad.com,
>fullsize jeeps and the like. I'm now confused about the trans and
>transfer too.
>I appreciate all the input,
> but arguments from all sides don't help select the next 6er to take
>residence in the truck.
>I'm thinking about: Ford 300ci, AMC 258, GM 265, and maybe Kaiser
>230/232.
>Real info as to fit or won't fit and specs will help. I would even
>consider Diesel if I could afford one.
>Sorry to rant.
>Sarge
>
>Lars P C [[_]=\X/=[_]]
>VW and Offroad enthusiast.

I am not impartial to any manufactuerer except poorly engineered stuff.
I can speak with some experience on the Chev 6 motors.
The 350 v8 and all small blocks for that matter have the same bolt pattern
as any chev six(at least everything I know of from the 1980's and back)on
the bellhousing.Different mounts are needed for the motor mounts,but they
bolt on.
The 235 is kind of gutless.I had one in my 52 pickup and i swapped it out
for a 261.Alot more power and no real loss in economy.The 261 is harder to
get.The 250 was used a lot but there are 2 types.Stay away from the one
where the head and intake are cast as one.These had more problems than the
one with a seperate bolt on manifold for the intake.the 292 has a lot of
torque and can really suck the fuel when they get tired.But then why use a
292 when a V8 283 is 20 pounds lighter and has more HP and torque?I had a
rare 64 x-logging ambulance panel truck chev with a 292 init.I pulled it out
and put a 64 327 in.Took 4 hours to swap with 2 of us.Everything was a bolt
in and the exhaust had to be changed.I went dual.Much better setup with 25
MPG on the highway but only about 6 off road.
If you want HP out of the 6 then the ford 300 has the chev beat because
there is more available speed parts and seems to be a favorite amoung the
bogger crowd.The only motor inline 6 that i know that will beat all 6's is
the Aussie 265 hemi inline.450HP is attainable on the chev 6 and more on the
Aussie 6.
Andre