Rear Tire Matching

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 01:27:32 PDT

This is a quick formula I use to match tires on the rear of my M35. It also
works on 5 tons or any truck with a similar axle arrangement. I measure the
rollout circumference of all 8 rear tires. I then number them 1 thru 8 by
tire size, 1 being the shortest and 8 being the tallest or vice-versa. From
there I pair up 7 & 8 for one side of an axle and 1 & 2 for the other side of
the same axle. For the second axle I pair up 3 & 4 for one side and 5 & 6
for the other side. This is the only way to balance the tire size using the
8 existing tires unless you start cutting tires or playing with air pressure.
Because these trucks have open differentials, the spider gears will
compensate for the tire size difference on the axle with the largest and
smallest tires. FWIW...Kenny

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL

AM General M-35A2