Re: [MV] Sting operations/response

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 20:26:57 PDT

Jack,
All your points are well-taken. I feel bad whenever rogue cops/federal agents get the whole profession tarbrushed. I have mentioned this before, but I think the problem as the layman sees it is this code of silence which exists in law enforcement. If those good ones of you would squeeze the bad ones out and hold them up to scrutiny, instead of closing ranks around them to protect them, people would perceive the fairness of it all, and the pressure would be off. I cannot recall this happening one single time in my life. Look at the NJ State Trooper situation right this minute. Despite national media attention, the resignation of a governor, and the closest federal scrutiny ever imposed on a state law enforcement agency, the illegal entries, car stops, and procedures continue to this day. My take on it is that if you train the police to use military tactics, military weapons, and military decorum, then they require an enemy...US. Police are supposed to be civilians, as distin!
guished from the military. That
was the intention of our framers. Once this beast has been set loose, I'm not sure it can be stopped. Comments?

Jack