Re: [MV] things that go bang

From: paul carrier (paulc@teleport.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 20:48:10 PDT

At 02:48 AM 7/26/01 -0400, you wrote:

>As far as I know, there are only two ways to get a live TOW
>missile...one, mount a terrorist raid on some armory, after which you
>would NOT be peddling them around flea markets, and two, get one from your
>boss at the agency to entrap some unsuspecting military gear enthusiast.
>Think about it...who has ready access to them? Of the two above, who is
>more likely to be walking around flea markets with offers for live TOW'S?
>One other thing which occurs to me is that A, some federal agency reads
>that a member has a tow setup on his jeep.....B, best way to find out if
>it is capable of firing is to offer him live ammo. C, can you say
>Leavenworth? Your would be benefactor was a federal agent. You can make
>book on it!

You won't find TOW(or any other munition) stored at an armory. There be
ammo points for such beasties. And If I remember correctly TOW is a CAT 1
munition and is only issued to the Guard on active post for immediate use.
I would suggest he may have been selling snake oil.... If he wasn't a fed.
Years ago a buddy and I had a table at a local gun show. A few of our
rifles and MRE's we had been issued for field exercise.
A guy came along, talked awhile and when he found out we both were part
time small arms repairers asked about what happened to the parts we
replaced. I told him we de-milled them per the TM . He pushed about it and
asked if we couldn't keep a few for him. I wasn't thinking quick enough to
have Dave keep him talking while I went to se the master at arms. Always
wished I'd turned him in, even if he was a cop trolling the show.

SSG Paul D. Carrier
Readiness NCO (63H & 45K)
Det 2 Co. B 145 SPT BN
Camp Withycombe, Clackamas OR