using the list with AOL

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 01:34:00 PDT

Listers,
Perhaps this will help someone.
AOL has a web mail utility that works better than logging onto the AOL server. If you also have regular net acccess, try it. I log to the list without even having the AOL software on my system. I avoided it because of all the file changes it makes to Windows when you install it.
If you go to www.aol.com, you'll find an email viewer that you can log to using your AOL name and password.
The actual email screen has fewer options, but also seems to work smoother, and you can attach a quoted reply without the extra control keying. You just check a box, and delete anything you don't want to forward. The only fault I can find with it is that it doesn't wrap lines correctly. You have to do a hard carriage return everywhere you wish to end a line.

As previous posters already mentioned, you can also log onto AOL, minimize it, and start a conventional non-AOL email client over the top of it. Just remember that you are still using AOL's packet connection to the net, and that ain't flawless by any means. I did test Eudora's current shareware version, and found it to work well.
Also be aware that AOL's email gateway is not always opened to the net. AOL tends to queue up email, and send it out in slugs. It sometimes shows up days later. The AOL system also barfs up old deleted mail on occasion, and you find yourself responding to something you already answered last month. Oh well!
Cheers!
Jack