Re: [MV] Sting operations/response

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 16:04:32 PDT

>Thanks David! I'm glad to see that not all list members hate me because of
>my chosen profession. Anyone who wants to step up and do my job, I'll
>gladly
>give it to you. Those who think they know law enforcement have no idea what
>its all about. Ignorance breeds condescention!

Well said. I've had neighbors that were jerks and who didn't mind
violating my rights (oh... to do things like sleep on a Saturday night,
for example), but I for one don't think shooting them in the face is the
right solution. There are legal procedures to handle these things, not
self prescribed doses of violence.

Human society is not perfect, so there will be bad people in any given
slice of that society. It is a given. That means there will always be
some bad gun collectors, bad mv collectors, bad neighbors, bad
legislators, bad life guards at the beach, etc. etc. To condemn a whole
group based on the perception of a few of its members is rather small
minded. To condone violence towards them is worse. In fact, it is
illegal as it should be. We live in a Democracy, not some petty 3rd
world country where you shoot first and think later (if at all).

BTW, I wear kevlar chaps when I cut wood and a seatbelt when I drive my
truck. If I didn't do these things it wouldn't be brave, rather it would
be stupid. If I were an officer of the law in a country where the people
who threaten law enforcement officers are most likely armed to the
teeth... I think I would wear two bulletproof vests. I don't care how
much of a "coward" that would make me.

Steve