My M35A2 is Almost Registered!

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 18:13:52 PDT

Hello List...

Well, my M35A2 is finally close to being registered!

I found myself in a cycle: I couldn't register it without a VIN
verification inspection, but I couldn't drive the truck (legally) to
the AAA or law enforcement without it being registered, and it
wouldn't be covered by my insurance unless it was registered.

So I thought that a temporary trip permit would be the ticket to move
the vehicle to get the VIN inspection.

Yesterday I went to the DMV and they said "NO" to my request for a
temporary trip permit because the truck had no Kalifornia plates...so
I was still stuck in the vicious cycle.

Out of desperation I stopped in at AAA and asked them if they could
help me get out of this cycle. A nice lady there said "SURE" and
issued me a trip permit...she simply wrote in "NONE" for the license
plate number which is true. Then she told me that SHE could do the
VIN verification inspection for me too!

So I could legally drive it with this permit! The insurance covers me
for intermittent driving of other vehicles, so I was all set!

Today I took the truck over to the local truck tire place and had the
two flat tires fixed with new tubes (thank you to the many on this
list that suggested that) and now it has all 10 tires up and running.
Plus a spare (thank you to my MV friend in Reno for selling me the
nice Goodyear tire and wheel).

Then today I went back to AAA with the truck and lickety split got the
VIN verified and an official form to prove it.

Now as soon as I can contact the MIA previous owner, I'll be able to
register it as a Historic Vehicle and get the insurance (liability
only) and I'm good to go.

Does anyone live near Plano, TX? I need someone to visit the previous
owner to find out if he will send me back the title and all the
required docs. For some reason he will not answer my phone calls or
email or respond to certified mail...I'm afraid something's up with
him, and I suspect that because he never transferred the truck into
his own name from the guy on the title, he will have to pay penalties
in order to get the title transferred to me, and he doesn't want to
spend the money.

Thanks for letting me gab!

If you can help me out with the previous owner, please let me know
off-list. Someone in an MV with a 50-cal on the roof might persuade
him to be more helpful. ;)

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 Military CUCV Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 3/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net